Saturday, March 5, 2011

I love my Ubquiti Nanostation!

Saturday March 5, 2011 (Day 169)

My kids bought me the Nanostation for Christmas. It’s useful in extending the range of wireless networks. I use to pull in free wi-fi from RV parks or McDonald’s in the parking lot. My stay here in a Phoenix RV park is a great example. The park has high speed wired connections that are open during the day, but I need to walk up and plug in at the 2 available areas. Instead I can pull in the Days Inn free wi-fi that’s about ¼ mile away. Great!! Of course people who have a data plan don’t have to worry about any of this.

Nanostation2 mounted on TV antenna




Close up of Nanostation2




In other news…

The universe returned to normal today… Rick creamed me in Bocce ball and Phase 10. The phrase banded about today was “Regression to the mean” as the winning streak I was on petered out and Rick was back on top or in his usual groove.

The Mariners won 7-2 against the Cleveland Indians. It was nice to finally see Eric Bedard pitch today after so much time on the disabled list. He did well striking out the side in the first inning.

Rick and I had a heck of a time using a coupon when we went out for dinner. I have several entertainment coupons for the Phoenix area. We decided on Vietnamese food so I called the restaurant this morning and the gal said no problem. We arrived a little after 6pm and the parking lot was empty as was the restaurant except for a little old lady that didn’t speak English. She pointed to someone in the back and when I spoke to her was told that the owner wasn’t around and therefore I couldn’t use the coupon. Seeing as there was no one in the establishment we decided to leave.

I called the next restaurant, a Mexican one, and was told by someone who could barely speak English that the phone number was wrong and gave me the correct one. Upon calling there was no answer so I decided to head over and take my chances. We got there and yes, another empty lot and almost empty restaurant. This time the lady spoke great English and told us that the restaurant had already closed 6PM. Oh well, this explained why the restaurant was empty anyway. So we head to an Italian restaurant that was on the way to the RV park. On the way we both mentioned how strange it felt to have our stomach anticipate Asian food, then Mexican, and finally Italian. Luckily the third time was the charm; the lot was full, the establishment lively, and the seating prompt. The food was delicious and I thought that it was ironic that I probably spent the amount save on food on gas. Rick was a great sport about the whole matter.


Eric Bedard



The high temp today was 79 degrees.

Eric Bedard

No comments: